Monday, May 11, 2015

Exercise Check-In

Again I had all intentions of going to the gym more last week.  :(

Monday (May 4): I did go to gym after work.  Yay!  I did 15 minutes of weights, 10 minutes walking on the treadmill and 20 minutes on the elliptical.

Tuesday: Break

Wednesday: 15 minutes of weights, 10 minutes walking on the treadmill, and 25 on the elliptical.

Thursday: Break

Friday: Break

Saturday: Was planning on going, but forgot something at home and then husband needed help there.  Although it was good that I was home for my new vest machine (more on that later).

Sunday: 25 minutes running on the treadmill and 15 minutes of weights.  I usually use my treadmill time as a cool down, but I didn't like the options for the elliptical (would have had to choose a machine next to someone…LOL).  So I decided to do all my cardio on the treadmill.  I did a bit of a warm up…working up to a speed of 4 and incline of 1.  I wanted to run because I knew that would get my heart rate up and get me sweating.  I did two spurts (over the course of 25 minutes) of five minutes each at that speed….but according to the heart rate monitor on the machine, my heart was racing at over 160.  So I slowed down.  I know those aren't 100% accurate, but my PT at CF clinic said to stay around 140-150.

Ab Exercise:  I am still doing quite a few of these (they are included in my weight time, even though I don't use weights for these.  Laying on my back, feet in the air, crunches.  I started a 30 day Plank Challenge with some of Cysters.  You do progressively more time and more intense plank exercises which fully engage your core.  I've been able to hold a plank for 20 seconds.  I know its not much right now, but its a start.  Also this machine which I never thought I'd be able to do!  It seems to be getting easier, but that may just be in my head!  You lean with your back against the ball and lift your legs (i do it with my knees bent) up towards your abs.


Weight routine:  I don't know if went over this in a prior blog post, but for my weight routine I have been concentrating on my shoulders and my abs.  I think those are very important muscle groups for a CFer to have good strength in and mine are very weak.  I don't know what the exercises or the machines are called, but the shoulder ones have been working with 8 pound dumbbells.  I lift them over my shoulder with my arms bent, then I lift them (the dumbbells) out in front of my chest, then I also do a shrugging motion.  Theres one other machine I use also for my shoulders, but I really don't know how to describe it.  Each of these exercise I do three sets of 8-10 reps each.  This is a picture of the machine. I use it standing behind the bar and lifting up towards my shoulder...so the opposite of this picture.  If that makes sense.  I don't do any weights on this yet, just the bar is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment